Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Magnolia Bakery - Worth The Wait?


At last, Magnolia Bakery has FINALLY opened after months and months of teasing their anxious neighbors and claiming they would be opening soon. I stopped by Friday night for the soft opening with a huge smile on my face and high expectations, and got three (yes, three) desserts to sample. I know I should be embarrassed, but they were free, I'd been waiting for Magnolia to open for what felt like an eternity, and, well, I like sweets. The desserts I picked up included a brownie, a chocolate cupcake with buttercream frosting, and slice of the snickers icebox pie. After sampling each treat, I felt a bit nauseous and fairly disappointed. The brownie was good, but brownies are ALWAYS pretty good. It was moist and chocolatey, but didn't "wow" me. The icebox pie was a weird creation that had a chocolate, crumbly crust layered with peanut butter and cream cheese, a whipped cream filling, and snickers pieces on top. All I could taste was sickly sweet creaminess with some pieces of snickers on top. I didn't know what to expect with an icebox pie, but I thought it was taste better than that! The most important test was the cupcake, and they failed on this one as well. The cake was sticky and sweet (I prefer moist but crumbly) and the frosting reminded me of the icing on cakes at Ralphs. Their buttercream was grainy (I'm assuming from the overload of granulated sugar) as opposed to creamy and didn't do much to complement the cake. I didn't even finish it, which NEVER happens with cupcakes. So, it turns out, I will still prefer to walk across the street to Joans on Third to get my cupcakes and sweets when the urge strikes. Sorry Magnolia.

No comments:

Post a Comment